Most matters in the Commission are resolved through conciliation by the parties voluntarily agreeing to an outcome to settle the matter.
Outcomes negotiated at conciliation depend on the interests of the parties and can include things like:
- changes in work arrangements, including in lines of reporting
- an apology
- a reference or statement of service (if the employment relationship has ended)
- commitments by the employer or principal to:
- investigate a complaint or engage an external investigator
- train staff on sexual harassment, discrimination, bullying, workplace safety, complaints processes and manager/staff obligations
- review and update its policies and procedures
- be more transparent in reporting complaints about bullying and/or sexual harassment
- conduct a safety risk assessment for the workplace
- sharing information
- the applicant withdrawing the complaint.