Understand the types of discrimination that fall under different laws. Use this information when the conduct started on or after 6 March 2023. If the conduct started before this date, see Sexual harassment commencing before 6 March 2023
On this page:
Sexual harassment and discrimination
Some types of discrimination are unlawful under federal, state and territory laws dealing with human rights, anti-discrimination and equal opportunity.
To find out more, visit the Australian Human Rights Commission. This website includes information about sex discrimination.
You can also visit the human rights, anti-discrimination or equal opportunity commission in your state or territory:
- ACT Human Rights Commission
- Anti-discrimination New South Wales
- Northern Territory Anti-Discrimination Commission
- Queensland Human Rights Commission
- Office of the Commissioner for Equal Opportunity [SA]
- Equal Opportunity Tasmania
- Victorian Equal Opportunity and Human Rights Commission
- Equal Opportunity Commission [WA]
General protections laws and sexual harassment
If you think you’ve been sexually harassed because you have made a complaint or enquiry about your employment or because you have a workplace right, you might be able to apply for the Commission to deal with a general protections application.
Work health safety and sexual harassment
Under model work health and safety laws, businesses and organisations must provide a safe workplace by making sure that people in their workplace are not exposed to health and safety risks. This includes risks of sexual harassment. Sexual harassment can occur between workers and other people at their workplace, including customers, suppliers or visitors to the business.
To find out more, visit:
- Our free workplace sexual harassment online course
- Fair Work Ombudsman for advice on sexual harassment in the workplace
- Safe Work Australia for information about work health and safety duties
- national regulator: Comcare.
You can also visit:
- the work health and safety authority in your state or territory: