The following laws operate at a Federal level and the Australian Human Rights Commission has statutory responsibilities under them:
- Age Discrimination Act 2004 (Cth)
- Australian Human Rights Commission Act 1986 (Cth)
- Disability Discrimination Act 1992 (Cth)
- Racial Discrimination Act 1975 (Cth)
- Sex Discrimination Act 1984 (Cth)
Commonwealth laws and the state/territory laws generally cover the same grounds and areas of discrimination. However, there are some ‘gaps’ in the protection that is offered between different states and territories and at a Commonwealth level.
In addition, there are circumstances where only the Commonwealth law would apply or where only the state or territory law would apply.