When we send you a claim for unfair dismissal, you must use Form F3 to respond. We have information to help you complete this form.
What to include in your response form
The first step when you respond to a claim for unfair dismissal is to explain your decision.
In Form F3, you must give us:
- the dates the employee started work, was dismissed and finished work
- the reasons you dismissed the employee
- your response to the employee’s arguments about why the dismissal was unfair
- any objections you wish to raise.
Only include copies of documents that are relevant to the claim, such as:
- written warnings you gave the employee
- the letter of dismissal.
We will ask you later if we need more information or evidence, such as statements from witnesses.
If you believe a question is not relevant, write 'not relevant'. Do not leave it blank.
Example of an employer’s response form
To help you complete this important document, we have created a sample F3 response form. In this example, we have made up an imaginary employer, Working Company Pty Ltd, to show how they may complete the form.
In each section you will see:
- what you need to give us
- where you can find information
- examples of what an employer may write.