All officers with financial management duties must complete approved financial training so that they understand their duties under the Fair Work (Registered Organisations) Act 2009.
On this page:
The training must:
- be done within 6 months after taking office
- cover each of the office holder’s financial duties
- be a training package approved by the General Manager of the Fair Work Commission (the General Manager) (section 293K).
When an officer needs training
An officer must do training or get an exemption if they:
- take office for the first time
- are elected to a different office even though they have already done the training when holding another office
- are elected to multiple new offices within a short period of time.
One training course will satisfy the requirement for officers taking up multiple new offices if the training:
- occurs after they take up all the offices
- covers all the financial duties in all offices
- occurs within the period after the officer takes up the last office and before 6 months has passed from the day the officer took up the first office.
An officer is not required to do more training if they are re-elected to the same office without a break in service.
Seek an exemption
An organisation or branch may apply for an officer to be exempted from doing training (section 293M).
An exemption may be granted if the officer can demonstrate they have a proper understanding of their financial duties because of:
- their experience as a company director
- their experience as an officer of a registered organisation
- other professional qualifications and experience.
The application needs to be made with enough time to undertake training within the 6-month period in the event that the exemption is not granted.
If an application is made after the 6-month period has passed, the organisation or branch may have breached the requirement and may be liable for penalties.
To apply for multiple officers, email firstname.lastname@example.org before you complete the form.