We are reviewing modern awards in relation to issues raised by the Minister through research and consultation.
On 12 September 2023, we received a letter from the Minister for Employment and Workplace Relations. The Minister expressed the Government’s interest in:
As a result, the Commission has started a process on its own initiative (AM2023/21), under section 157(3)(a) and 576(2)(aa) of the Fair Work Act, to review modern awards in relation to key issues raised by the Minister, including the usability of some awards.
During the review, a Full Bench will consider:
- the new object of the Fair Work Act and modern awards objective regarding job security and the need to improve access to secure work across the economy
- the impact of workplace relations settings on work and care, and
- award coverage and minimum standards for the arts and culture sector.
We will also consider any proposals to make modern awards easier to use.
The proposals should be confined to the 7 most commonly used awards:
- Children's Services Award 2010
- Clerks – Private Sector Award 2020
- Fast Food Industry Award 2010
- General Retail Industry Award 2020
- Hospitality Industry (General) Award 2020
- Restaurant Industry Award 2020
- Social, Community, Home Care and Disability Services Industry Award 2010
The President’s statement also outlines the process for the review, and notes that a draft timetable will be published by the end of September 2023.
Subscribe to updates
Subscribe now to receive updates when new information on this case is published.
Notice of listing
|Document description||Document date||Published date|
|Notice of listing - 3 October 2023||26/09/2023||26/09/2023|