We are committed to promoting a culture of diversity and inclusion in our workplace.
We recognise that an inclusive culture contributes to the improved performance and wellbeing of our people. This builds our capability to serve the diverse range of people who access our services. The Fair Work Commission Diversity and Inclusion Strategy 2023–28 (pdf) sets our commitments for the next 5 years.
The strategy is championed by our Executive Management Committee. Our Diversity and Inclusion committee is responsible for delivering initiatives that help us achieve the commitments in the strategy.
The strategy has been designed with these pillars in mind:
- engage, inform, and build a culture of inclusion in our workplace
- increase organisational support and opportunities for underrepresented groups
- build our organisational capability to serve the diverse range of people who access our services.
We have 7 areas of focus underpinned by our diversity and inclusion priorities. These priorities are to:
- provide a safe and inclusive workplace for all Members and staff
- improve education and awareness on diversity and inclusion
- gather more detailed and useful information to help inform the Commission’s planning and targeted initiatives relating to diversity and inclusion
- reflect the diverse make up of Australia within the Commission.
Areas of focus
We have chosen 7 areas of focus for targeted support and initiatives to deliver our strategic pillars:
- First Nations Australians
- Gender equality
- Multicultural Australia
- People with disability
- Neurodiverse people
- Ageing workforce.
We acknowledge that the scope of issues around diversity and inclusion are wide and complex. Underrepresentation, lack of visibility and lack of awareness often cannot be confined to one specific area or group.
Our Diversity and Inclusion Committee provides representation to those with lived experience and/or interest within the areas of focus. The committee develops annual implementation plans. These plans outline the initiatives that will be undertaken to help us achieve our commitments.
Our aim is to add the voices of those with lived experience and/or expertise to assist in scoping our annual implementation plans. This helps ensure that our initiatives and actions are tailored to the evolving needs of our people.