If you are dismissed from your job for a reason covered by general protections laws, you may be eligible to make a claim. You must apply within 21 days after the dismissal took effect.
On this page:
Who can use this form
Only use this form if:
- your employment has ended AND
- you think the reason is illegal ('prohibited') under general protections laws.
You cannot apply while you have another application in progress, such as unfair dismissal or dismissal under anti-discrimination laws.
Before you start
An application is the start of a legal process. When you lodge this form you will need to pay a fee.
Have this information ready before you begin this form. You will need to give us:
- your contact details
- details of a legal representative or paid agent, if you have one
- the name of the employer's contact
- the legal name of the employer's business
- the trading name of the employer’s business
- the employer’s ABN, which you may find on your payslip or by searching the ABN Lookup website
- details of what the employer did, including any reasons given for your dismissal, that led you to make this application
- the section(s) of the Fair Work Act 2009 you believe your employer has broken (we give you the options to choose from)
- the outcome you want from this application
- details of any claim you have made to any other organisation about this dispute, if applicable.
The application fee
You need to pay a fee when you apply. The fee for 2023-24 is $83.30 and changes on 1 July each year.
If you apply:
- online – you can either pay the lodgment fee or request to have it waived when you submit your online application
- by email or post – we will contact you about payment. We cannot process your application until you pay the fee
You may not have to pay a fee if this would cause serious financial hardship. Apply for a waiver using Form F80.
What happens next
After we receive your application and payment, we will:
- send a copy to your employer (and any other respondents) and ask them to respond in 7 days AND
- organise a conference between you and the employer to help you and your employer discuss the issues.
Find out what happens in a conference.